The most recent xkcd contains a reference to a particular point in space and time. Lots of xkcd fans are planning on meeting up there & then [forum, LiveJournal, Eventful].
This particular point in space is a park in North Cambridge (map), which is a stone’s throw away from many landmarks of family significance and childhood memories:
- My grandmother’s house on Hollis St.
- Auntie Peg’s house on Reed St.
- The M.E. Fitzgerald School, where my mother taught for almost 40 years.
- St. John’s, the parish my father grew up in, as did his parents, etc.
- Verna’s, North Cambridge’s venerable and inscrutable donut shop.
- etc., etc., etc.
You get the picture. Well, actually, here’s the picture:
Icing for the surreal cake: the day in question, 23 September, is my sister’s birthday.
Given all that, I think I’m pretty much required to be there. You should come too! I’m thinking a Redbones run is in order for afterwards.